Some herbal formulas taste better than others.
So here at Land of Holistic Pets we compiled a list of tips for feeding herbs to dogs that you might find useful. And hopefully will make the herbs palatable for your dog.
A few tried and tested ways to administer the formulas include;
- Stevia is a very sweet tasting herb that offers no negative side effects and yet is great in masking bitter herbs. We add it into all our formulas.
- Chicken Broth is good for animals with little or no appetite or with diarrhea. Just dissolve the herbal powder into the broth and move water out the way and sooner or later your animal friend with lap-up the broth, getting some nutrition, electrolytes and the herbs!
- Parmesan Cheese will fool them. Dogs and cats often like strong smelling stuff like cheese, so why not try mixing Parmesan cheese with the herbal powder and mixing it in with their food.
- Turkey or Chicken slices with herbs wrapped inside often ‘sneaks’ it passed our animal friends.
- Tuna Fish Water: Open a can of tuna and pour the tuna water into food mixed with herbs.
- Fish Flakes like Bonita flakes, can be a another strong smelling tasty ruse to pass it by your friends taste buds.
- Peanut butter balls with the herbs hidden inside.
- Bake into cookies.
- Hide inside hot dogs.
I also suggest encapsulating any formula you feel would be better received than powder mixed into food. One capsule = 500 mg., or 1/2 scoop.
Learn more about the origins of Chinese herbal formulas.
Buy herbs for dogs and cats from our online shop.