Candida is a fungus, a form of yeast, naturally present in our digestive tract. It helps with our digestion and absorption of nutrients.
In times of stress and contributing factors listed below Candida can multiply and grow out of control. This overgrowth can result in your digestive system showing signs of abnormal behaviour as well as the development of toxins.
- Eating a diet high in bread, cakes, pizza , highly processed food and sugar (which feed the yeast)
- Consuming a lot of alcohol
- Taking oral contraceptives
- A high and prolonged stress experience
- Taking a round of antibiotics that killed too many of those friendly bacteria
This overgrowth results in many different health problems ranging from gas and bloating to migraines and fatigue etc.
The 10 most common symptoms of a Candida overgrowth include:
Here are 10 common Candida symptoms
- Feeling tired and worn down or suffering from chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
- Digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
- Autoimmune disease such as Thyroid problems, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis
- Skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis, hives, and rashes
- Irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
- Vaginal infections , urinary tract infections, rectal itching or vaginal itching, jock itch
- Severe seasonal allergies or itchy ears
- Strong sugar and refined carbohydrate cravings
- Skin and nail fungal infections (such as athlete’s foot or toenail fungus)
- Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD and brain fog
If you suspect you have Candida overgrowth there is a number of things you can do.
Your Diet and the addition of supplements can a large impact on Candida Overgrowth.
What to remove from your diet completely
- Sugar and sugar containing foods such as honey, maple syrup, agave etc.
- Any food that comes in a package or box or prepared
- Breads, pastries and baked goods
- Alcohol and coffee
- Fermented foods
- Tropical fruits such as banana, papaya, mango, pineapple, melons, strawberries and fruit in general
- Fruit juices and sugar drink.
What to decrease in your diet: –
- High carbohydrate vegetables such as squash, potatoes, beans and legumes, carrots and peas
- Grains including rice, quinoa, pastas ( suggest you cut out in the initial 2 weeks)
- Yoghurt , butter, milk and other dairy products
What to increase in your diet: –
- Leafy green vegetables, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, green peppers, cucumber, celery, radishes
- Herbs and spices
- Lean protein such as chicken, fish, turkey, eggs and seeds
- Water and caffeine free herbal teas
What supplements to take with your diet: –
There are many different supplements out there but some of the more commonly used ones are : –
- Caprylic acid – found in coconut oil or as a supplement
- Oregano oil – make sure you use a probiotic at a different time of day.
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Probiotics from a Health Food and makes sure it comes out of fridge.
The tricky thing with Candida is that it can become resistant to the supplements rendering them ineffective, so it’s best to alternate between a couple different ones to prevent this from happening.
Traditional Chinese Medicine has a range of Herbal Formulas to deal with Candida but it is better to do some research on this as different formulas exist for slightly different underlying causes.